Step 1 - Create a WordPress.com Account
Please note that WordPress.com is not the same thing as your WordPress Dashboard.
- Go to https://wordpress.com/
- Click "Create Website"
- On Step 1 of 4, click "Skip" at the bottom of the page
- On Step 2 of 4, enter any domain name or keyword, then click the "Free" button
- On Step 3 of 4, click the "Free" option
- On Step 4 of 4, create your account (email address, username, and password)
Note: If you already have a WordPress.com account, there is no need to create a new one unless you want to.
Step 2 - Connect Jetpack to your WordPress.com Account
Back in your WordPress dashboard...
- Click on Jetpack in the left sidebar
- Click on the big button which says "Link Your Account to WordPress.com"
- Follow the directions on screen to finish making the connection
For more information, see https://jetpack.com/support/getting-started-with-jetpack/